The Ultimate Brokeback Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2014, 01:54:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
ULTIMATE BROKEBACK GUIDE
Our obsessive guide to the heartbreaking yet oddly universal story of two gay cowboys in love

Meet the authors and volunteers who put together "Beyond Brokeback: The Impact of a Film" and order your book.
* Home Help Login Register
+  davecullen.com forums
|-+  OUR COMMUNITY
| |-+  Our Campaigns (Moderator: Ellen (tellyouwhat))
| | |-+  The Book Project - Discuss, Anticipate, Collaborate here
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 ... 102 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Book Project - Discuss, Anticipate, Collaborate here  (Read 200293 times)
KittyHawk
Senior Advisor
Obsessed

« Reply #1065 on: July 31, 2006, 07:42:01 PM »

Does anyone know if Publishers Weekly would be interested in something like this?
Library Journal and the ALA magazine might be interested.

I'm assuming we're going to do a press release campaign like last time...

Carol

Those are good ideas, Carol! Mentioning libraries also makes me think that perhaps some of the libraries who received gifts from us of the DVD might be interested in buying the book if we just let them know it's available!

(Loved your comments about wondering if there's a Crash forum. Wouldn't that be a dreary place to be?!?! Last I read, the actors and crew were having trouble getting paid! )

- KittyHawk

mountain boy
Cowpoke
Obsessed

Thou not speakest thy truest love

« Reply #1066 on: July 31, 2006, 09:27:19 PM »

I want to put in another plug ... even if there's an outside chance - could we get just a sentence from Annie Proulx, Ang, Heath, Jake, Rodrigo, Gustavo .... It would be so wonderful!!!  To know that they realize what an impact they had on us     Smiley Cry Kiss Smiley

We could even write the sentence for them !!!    Cheesy     Something very simple, and ask them to see the book, and they could all sign their names, or agree to have their names printed.

Just something like "We are touched that our work has moved you so deeply."

Or more if they want to say it of course!!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 09:35:44 PM by wdj » Logged

peteinportland
Obsessed

« Reply #1067 on: August 01, 2006, 04:33:25 AM »

Carol, yes we will be doing a series of coordinated press releases. My great hope is that we can have a big team of people help us with the press release as they did on the ad campaign. We will also be doing targeted press releases in many cities and towns across the world where the authors and volunteers who worked on the book live. We also have some publicity planned in a couple of publishing journals such as you mention. I will get back with all of you on exact details. (BTW, what in the world made you move to Indianappolis--JK  Cheesy)

Wayne, we will actually try to get a little blurb from some BBM folks. We hear you! And thanks to you and Trish for all the great progress you are making with your section. It is much appreciated.

Something else we will be doing is targeting University libraries and film/media departments. We already have a great list of top film professors. Many people who work in academia have told us this book will be a must for most Universities with a film or media department (and even those with modern culture courses). This is one of the reasons we are making the book available in hardback.

As mentioned before, we may even try to do the same thing we did with the DVD campaign: get our book into as many local libraries as possible.

So, a few more ideas. We have others. Please keep all of your great ideas and comments coming.

Pete
Ellen (tellyouwhat)
Proulx 101
Global Moderator
Obsessed

resist the corporate Taliban

« Reply #1068 on: August 01, 2006, 08:46:58 AM »

I want to put in another plug ... even if there's an outside chance - could we get just a sentence from Annie Proulx, Ang, Heath, Jake, Rodrigo, Gustavo .... It would be so wonderful!!!  To know that they realize what an impact they had on us     Smiley Cry Kiss Smiley

We could even write the sentence for them !!!    Cheesy     Something very simple, and ask them to see the book, and they could all sign their names, or agree to have their names printed.

Just something like "We are touched that our work has moved you so deeply."

Or more if they want to say it of course!!

Diana, Larry ...  the more I think about it, Ang Lee would be dynamite. 

sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty
KittyHawk
Senior Advisor
Obsessed

« Reply #1069 on: August 01, 2006, 09:55:09 AM »

As I was just saying to Larry and Diana the other day...  Grin  Grin Grin

You all don't want much, do you?  Wink

Seriously, we'll see what we can do, but please pleeeeeeze keep your expectations low and realistic so you won't be disappointed.
The chances are SO slim.   Undecided

- KH

ChrisFewa
Expert

take a step back

« Reply #1070 on: August 01, 2006, 10:45:35 AM »

Hey slim is still a chance.  And hell even if they say no, who cares.  They will be missing out on something so important so special they will regret it. 

But Kitty you are right, they made this movie and wrote this book, but I don't think they are invested in it as much as we are, or at least not for the same reasons.  They may have ridden it for the controversy, not to make a difference.

Without wax,

Chris
Elevation
Obsessed

« Reply #1071 on: August 01, 2006, 10:55:24 AM »

As I was just saying to Larry and Diana the other day...  Grin  Grin Grin

Now I am getting dizzy from expectations! Grin Wink

Well there's a bridge and there's a river that I still must cross...
Boris
The Iceman melteth
Obsessed

I was just thinkin' out loud.

« Reply #1072 on: August 01, 2006, 11:05:19 AM »

The one who never asks never gets anything.

"A theater is the most important sort of house in the world, because that's where people are shown what they could be if they wanted, and what they'd liked to be if they dared, and what they really are." -Tove Jansson-
Elevation
Obsessed

« Reply #1073 on: August 01, 2006, 11:05:28 AM »

True that, Boris! Smiley

I was going to say, some wonderful marketing ideas here as well. I'm thinking.... besides film studies, I think some musicology departments might be interested in this book as well (the soundtrack being almost a character of its own and definitely an important factor to everybody's strong impressions).

Well there's a bridge and there's a river that I still must cross...
mountain boy
Cowpoke
Obsessed

« Reply #1074 on: August 01, 2006, 11:19:44 AM »

I recall Jake said something like "it took me 5 or 6 months to get over this story."

I think it would make an actor, a director, a writer feel wonderful to get positive feedback in this form - something really unique!!    Smiley  Smiley

Even if for some silly legal reason or something they couldn't sign their names, I bet it would make them feel good just to be asked!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 11:45:26 AM by wdj » Logged

mountain boy
Cowpoke
Obsessed

« Reply #1075 on: August 01, 2006, 11:26:11 AM »

And thanks to you and Trish for all the great progress you are making with your section. It is much appreciated.
Smiley Smiley    Thanks Pete - It's a real pleasure!! Especially working with Trish!!    Smiley Kiss Kiss
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 12:29:12 PM by wdj » Logged

mountain boy
Cowpoke
Obsessed

« Reply #1076 on: August 01, 2006, 11:45:39 AM »

Ooooh, ooh and then next we can ask them to be photographed with the book!!!        Smiley Smiley Smiley

Annie Proulx and Jake in front of a display at a bookstore, holding the book!!!!! Heath and Michelle on a bench in Brooklyn, one reading aloud to the other ....       Diana and Larry writing notes in the margins, striking out this and that, copy editing....

Gustavo wearing headphones and reading it!     Cheesy Cheesy

Ang with a megaphone and crop, Rodrigo with camera debating over how to film something, each pointing to different parts of the book...

Randy Quaid in costume (chewing toothpick!) and the Basques reading it while sheep pass through the gates.    Cheesy

Smiley Cry Kiss Smiley  We love them so much!!

This could be an ad in New York Review of Books, London Review of Books, NYT book review, the Advocate, ... Variety!    Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 11:58:14 AM by wdj » Logged

mountain boy
Cowpoke
Obsessed

« Reply #1077 on: August 01, 2006, 12:00:22 PM »

Future movies will want the book for product placement!  To plant the idea that true fans will publish books about them too!!    Smiley

Cameron816
Experienced

I 'as probably no fun anyways, was I?"

« Reply #1078 on: August 01, 2006, 12:00:54 PM »

My biggest fear is, once I get this book, I may fall completely apart.  I can't get past the cover...how can I stand another blow from BBM?  ....<sigh>....

My small personal tribute to BBM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GeGd29rJoY
ChrisFewa
Expert

take a step back

« Reply #1079 on: August 01, 2006, 12:05:44 PM »

As much as we love the characters that’s all they are.  It would be amazing and so loving and generous if they all appeared in an ad like that.  Just that alone would make every member of this forum; especially all of us working on the book break down in tears, but who knows right…

Without wax,

Chris
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 ... 102 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

go to The Ultimate Brokeback Guide go to The Ultimate Brokeback Cafe Press Collection Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines go to The Ultimate Brokeback Amazon Collection